Tuesday, March 2, 2010

danny in three


I finished this piece a few weeks ago for a required school assignment. I'd been toying with the idea of manipulating photos through various mediums over the past few months and have recently jumped head-first into the pool.

I suppose I was originally inspired by the works of Christo and Jean-Claude a few years back. I was obsessed with Christo's draftsmanship when applying pastel and various other mediums to schematic photographs. For those of you unfamiliar, first: what have you been doing with your life, and second: here's a link.

There will be a lot more of this work coming out of my studio these next couple months. My newest series is driven by memory: I plan to blow up (massive) old black and white photographs and apply washes of color in attempt to recreate how I remember them at the point of when they were initially shot. Exciting, no question.

3 comments:

laura said...

I still have one of your NY photos that you scribbled on framed up on my wall.

Anonymous said...

those n.y. ones were wicked

Andy Schmidt said...

Oh yeah? That's back when I thought I was a revolutionary artist haha. At least innovative. It's a good thing darkrooms are entirely useless nowadays, and that didn't come from my mouth.