Wednesday, June 24, 2009

to some it comes easy

Lately it appears I've been a part of some good media exposure.

I had an interview in last months issue of Scene , which I wish I had to show you because it was hilarious. The title of the article was called Hue Looks For Northern Exposure at NXNE. The introduction to the article was a bunch of garbage about how a lot of bands have made it big at this festival in the past by playing one amazing show, and that we hope to do the same. I retorted by saying that becoming popular by playing NXNE is unrealistic and very assuming, and that all you can really do is play your best and hope that those in the audience remember your name. If you really want to read the article, I have it at home. It hangs by my fridge.

Secondly, I got a text the other night saying I was on tv. I assumed it was from an eTalk segment filmed earlier that day, where I creeped into Kevin Brauch's shot by standing behind him during his report on Luminato.
Turns out it was another re-run of our segment on Rogers Cable's London Calling. Although the rest of that episode was irreverant trash, our segment turned out half-decent. You can usually catch it on your local Rogers Cable network, between the hours of 3am and 5am.

Then, last Saturday I was at the Bovine Sex Club watching Inward Eye play their NXNE set. If you've never heard of these guys before, you probably will before you're dead. They are probably the closest thing to a young version of The Who. They're an incredible live band, they sound super tight, and most of their songs are rad to the boner. Just when I thought we were a hard working band, I watch these guys and they make me feel like a blubbering vagine. That, and Dave the bassist doesn't make me feel bad for sweating like crazy on stage, because he sweats buckets.
Anyway, on to the point. Our manager Cory Gram-Cracker pulled us out of the bar for some unknown reason. We were all pretty bagged by that point - mostly due to the vodka he was forcing on us behind Reverb before the show started.
Turns out he met some of the guys from Aux TV earlier in the night and they wanted to film an interview with me. I was pretty much forced, which is cool because I like interviews.



You can see my four-second clip at around 5:02. Here are some of my thoughts on that single clip:


a) I looked good. Earlier on in the night I'd seen Riverdance, and then went straight to the shows once it was over. Cool white shirt and a nice crisp vest. Daaaammn.

b) I'm yelling. As you can probably hear in the background, it was noisy as hell. Throughout the interview (which may or may not ever be seen), I continuously needed questions repeated because I couldn't hear jack shit, and then had to scream the answers just to hear myself think. I do wish it was available in full though, because I said some funny drunk shit.

c) I look like Bobby Flay. There's nothing really to add there.

d) The other guests. Okay, if you continue to watch the clip, you'll see some other artists. Those artists include Gentlemen Reg (whom I listen to on a daily basis) and John from In Flight Safety (who I once listened to on a daily basis). This made me shit myself because they both make amazing tunes and I'd never imagine being butted up against them in a video reel.

e) I'm the youngest. That's just the facts.

f) I'm well on my way to the "Big Kahuna". If you don't know what that means, you'll understand in about a month.


The only thing that would put the cherry on top of all this exposure would be if we end up doing this radio interview we've been slated to do in Ottawa in two days.

No comments: