Wednesday, June 3, 2009

DEL


As previously mentioned, I had a show in Scarborough, last week? I'm not sure exactly. My days are becoming so full that I can't tell what day it is anymore, but that's good.

The show went exactly how I thought it would go. I'd show up, hang my single piece (which I'm almost certain was the largest there), walk around for a while kissing babies, then bugger off for a while to enjoy the sun. That day, now looking back, was actually a lot of fun. Dan and I don't really get to just hang out much anymore, so it was fun to kick it together just like old times. The only thing we did all day was crack jokes, and I wish I was exaggerating about that. Later that night we met with some friends and didn't feel like laughing anymore.


I had my wall space good and ready to go. As usual, I was a horrible self-promoter. So bad in fact that I wrote my contact information on what I thought were business cards they provided, which in fact were raffle tickets. hahahah, holy shit. This funny gay couple (who were all over East and DP) were saddened by the fact that I couldn't hang the piece higher on the display. They had a point, but I wasn't too shook by it.


After seeing the light cast by the bulb in the top left corner of this piece I became really attached to that sun spot. I've considered roughing one in.


The free coffee, tea and cookies didn't quite get rid of my hangover, but definitely helped the conversations flow a bit faster.

This character, seen above in the tight red sweats, gold bling, and a child's Raptors jersey, absolutely needs to be mentioned.
The man's name was Ian Moo Young, and I'm pretty sure he was absolutely off his rocker. He showed up to the show with a cart full of shit, including a mop, bottles of liquor, and a big red rug. These would all be included in his wacky display later in the day.
At the beginning of the day I became jealous when seeing him speak to other exhibitors. I just wanted him to, you know, flirt with me a little.

Moo indeed was off his rocker. After nearly being thrown out for calling a photographer a "shit" and "an asshole", he fled to East and DP to hide from the women running the event. At this point, Moo went on and on for almost two hours about all kinds of things. I can only really skim the surface when talking about what he said, so I'll try. These are some of his accomplishments:

a) He trained several of the top tennis players in the world, and wants to one day, win the Wimbledon. He said he still schools world-ranking youngsters.

b) At one point, he was one of the top filmmakers in Britain, and directed more than one hundred commercials for many corporations throughout the UK.

c) Was good friends with Princess Diana, and that the only reason they never hooked up was because they were both in relationships at the wrong times. And since this was the case, somebody he called The Duke of Devonshire wanted him dead, which leads to the next point.

d) He's killed people. After being chased into a cave by assassins at night, somewhere in the Southern Pacific, he proceeded to kill one man by throwing his machete at him. He killed the other two assassins by spreading a bad of pigs blood (which he seemed to have on him at the time) on the ground the attract the local tigers. Every time he mentioned someone dying, he let out the creepiest laugh I've ever heard.

e) He's dated supermodels and is the eye of any woman he meets. He planned on asking a girl he met at the show if she wanted to be in his next film. I'm just going to assume she said no.

Needless to say, Moo was nuts, and I'm sure only 1% of everything he said was true. Although, his work was interesting and some of the motifs presented were intriguing. Just stuff about how we're all mermaids, and then something about foot fetishes. Whatever.

Either way, the day was an over all success, and it's always fun to drive on the Don Valley Parkway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met Ian Moo Young this evening, and came home and googled him to see if I could find anything out... I found your story on your blog. What a riot! He told me similar stories about Princess Diana, about being a great tennis player, and about directing (or writing?) 200 commercials. He showed me his prints, and gifted me with 2. It was an interesting encounter to say the least.... the fact that his stories are consistent makes this encounter even funnier!

Anonymous said...

By the way, just skimming through your blog and I can't figure out the name of your band?? Maybe I've heard of you? I hang out at most of the bars you've played at (in Toronto).

Anonymous said...

Just met Ian Moo Young on the bus, and like the other commenter, came home to google him...he told me about his 100 commercials and autographed two prints for me. He showed me his book of valentines for female celebrities. Intriguing art. An interesting experience.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I too had an encounter with Ian Moo Young on the Bloor-Danforth Subway line. Friendly, funny, engaging fellow, drew a caricature of my daughter as a mermaid... LOL. Told me he was a movie director, and animation artist. And that he was directing Gwyneth Paltrow in her next movie. It was an amusing conversation, and was curious who this fellow was.... I guess he is famous, just not for being a celebrity, but rather his grand delusions....

Norte said...

I too met Moo. A gentlemen never tells but his stories are were amazing. He is a true one of a kind. Unquestionably out of his mind but
Gentle and kind to my sons. I enjoyed meeting him on the beach and hope.to meet him again
The world needs more wild, free men like him.
Viva Moo viva