Friday, February 27, 2009

friday

Taking things easy tonight.

I've spent most of my night in the bathroom reading Bruce Mau's brilliant Massive Change aloud to myself. Not even sitting on the toilet, just in the bathroom. I think I like the acoustics. I also find I absorb information better when I read out loud and really, really fast. I'll take one huge gulp and try to read two paragraphs as fast as possible. Usually by the end of this I've comprehended everything, and am left with a sore head, but it's been three days and I'm almost done that book, so I'm assuming it's worth the Advil.

One thing I've really noticed lately is that I make weird faces when I walk around, and there's two reasons for this.

a) I'm Listening to Music

No matter what the album, I'll either mouth the words, play air-piano, or make drum faces. A drum face [something I do a lot] is when you hear certain parts of a drum kit played and correlate them with different parts of your face. For instance, I'll usually blink my left eye when there is a counter-note on a snare drum. I'll blink my right eye when the hi-hat opens up. This is also a good reason why I wear sunglasses 90% of my time spent outdoors. On top of that, I'll walk to the beat. I'm sure if you watched me closely when walking, you could tell what song I was listening to. That's funny stuff to me.

b) I'm Recalling or Playing Out a Moment

I feel nuts when this happens, but when I replay a moment (either in the past or future), I'll make the corresponding faces to the story. I find myself smiling, or even laughing at something played back in my mind at the most random of times on the street. People will look at me funny and I'll usually just shy away and dismiss the feeling until my next memory pops up. This, I'm sure, is a precursor to what will eventually be a very old, very senile Andy. I think it'll be a funny time though. I'll be that old guy who sits in the retirement home halls laughing and pinching nurses bums.

I could have written this so much better, but I'm watching Drumline right now and I'm so distracted, it's ridiculous.




1 comment:

laura said...

1) That is the greatest book. It is displayed on my coffee table at all times.

2) I am the queen of playing shit out in my head and letting my facial expressions get involved. I think during one greyhound ride I even let it get to the point of talking to myself...

3) Good bit with the Drumline!