Monday, February 16, 2009

Glen

I spent some time with Glen today. 
Glen used to run a great book stand on College Street, but was forced out of his home because he is a schizophrenic and just can't seem to throw away any of his stuff. So, naturally, his place was full of junk and was evicted late last year. We're good friends, and can usually be seen playing chess or drinking coffee in some alley sorting through his book collection that exceeds 20,000. I took this picture early this fall, documenting the last night of the bookstand. He used to live in the Yukon and staked claims for gold during the late gold rush. He easily has the best catalog of stories out of any single individual I know.

Since Glen's eviction, he's been looking for buyers and places to donate all his books, which has actually been a somewhat sad process to watch for the both of us. Earlier today, Glen greeted me with a box and told me to fill it with as many books as I can, free of charge. I jumped at the chance and rummaged furiously through his collection. Some of the books I nabbed include.

Life on the Mississippi - Mark Twain
Talk Talk Talk - Jay Ingram
Recipes for Ground Beef
Animals in Renaissance Art
James Bond - Moonraker
some social science book entirely written in Spanish
Bill Cosby: Autobiography - Bill Cosby
Shakespearian Antagonists: A Critical Essay
and then some books with really nice covers, dating around 1914




No comments: