Friday, August 1, 2008

better yours than mine

I think it's time for this one to go.
I decided the other day that I want to donate this painting to the Sick Kids hospital here in Toronto.
I came to this conclusion based on several good reasons, such as:
It would satisfy me more than anything to know that kids were enjoying it 24 hours a day, opposed to being glanced at every so often by someone who just got home from work. Aside from being overly expensive to make, this piece is large (over 8 feet long), and very textural; something kids can rub their hands over without causing any damage.
The decision was formed around one simple question: who would I rather enjoy this?
It currently sits in the studio, upright, collecting dust, and needs a home. There's no other place I'd rather see it hanging than Sick Kids.
Have you ever seen this hospital?
It's really amazing. I usually take my friends there because it's right down the street and I love spending time there walking the halls and riding the glass elevators up and down. There are even massive animals suspended from the ceilings and walls, beautiful murals and even nurses in costume. From a child's point of view, I can imagine it being the kind of place that you'd break your foot just to get in the place.
I think it's settled then. I've looked up the number for the donations department at the hospital and will likely give this person a call later today.
For more info on the hospital, go to www.sickkids.ca

No comments: