Tuesday, August 26, 2008

there's always one!



And it's true: there is always one song that comes out during summer that kicks undeniable ass.


Electric Feel by MGMT


Damn, this song is good.
Every summer, one single comes out that just has that certain something about it. We all know the criteria: nice tempo, great groove, catchy, non distracting lyrics, and replayability. Come to think of it, it's comparable to great sex and may even make you want to have it.
It's one of those tracks that makes any songwriter or musician throw down their gloves and say, "Yep, you won this one." As ridiculous and narrow-minded as that sounds, it's just fucking true. In fact, you should probably be listening to this song while reading this.




This song just has that groove that makes you scrunch up your face and say Daaaammn, all while your shoulders, hips, and feet move in perfect unison. It's nostalgic to Simply Red's Sunrise, which makes me move in quite similar ways. The production and mixing is brilliant. The vocals and drums are as loud as all hell (which they should be), it's soaked in reverb, and combines some sort of guitar/keyboard/bass line that I can't seem to wrap my head around. The formula is easy simple enough that tweeners to geezers can get down to it.
I find myself dancing to it at work, even though it's never played. My feet tap, and I mouth the words when my back is turned to people. It's the only good thing that Mtv is playing nowadays, not that I'm ever watching. And what's with Mtv playing only short clips of music videos? Just when you get into it, it's commercial time. I still don't understand.
Either way, listen to the track. Hell, the video is even good: An organic party-orgy set in the amazon with animals backing the band and random glimpses of forties? That can't miss. Oh, and if you don't like it, listen to it the next day, and then the next. I didn't like it much the first time I heard it, now I listen to it several times a day. Enjoy.

1 comment:

littlest roro said...

This post is amaaaazing!