Tuesday, July 29, 2008

that was nice, wasn't it?


I liked Vancouver.

I had a discussion with Kamal today about Vancouver. We both agreed that - in a city of such rich, high-cost of living, it's hard to understand why the people appear so calm and relaxed all the time. Personally, I thought Vancouver was very similar to Toronto, only if you wrapped Toronto around a very large lake and plopped some mountains on the horizon. Ey'gad!

This is Bryan. Bryan is a good friend of mine. One of those friends that you've known long enough to make fun of each others past haircuts, girlfriends, clothes, grades, and decisions. I stayed at his condo in Vancouver for a few days and, needless to say, the guy is one of the better hosts I've had the pleasure of knowing.

Despite the outrageous $1.52/L gas prices, Bry drove us around town for a couple hours, making note of some of the best areas, and worst, that Vancouver has to offer. Had I known that the tour would have been that good, I would have payed upfront, cash. Bryan, if you read this, I am now telling you the forecast of your future: VanTourism. Your slogan can be,

"Hop on the fucking sled pawtna! Indigo's in the back!"

Yes, I drank Pilsner. For those of you who've never seen Fubar, watch and learn.


Stanley Park ruled. I snapped this, again, while doing about 60. Out the window, out of focus, click.


I can't remember really what was going on during this photo. I look like I'm being sucked backwards in time, Bryan looks like he's about to commit the worst sucker-punch ever. Bike looks like a rat child.



I asked Bike to do his best Japanese impression. Seeing as he used to live there, I trust his depiction.


Lake Louise, just like I remember it. I really wanted to swim in that water.



After clicking off a few photos of the scenery, my attention (deficit) was drawn towards picture-takers. There's an incredible moment to be seen when witnessing a person having their picture taken. Every person who's had their photograph taken knows this. There is something about a shiny, reflective lens that makes people turn from a reality to a representation of themselves.
Even in this photo below, that girl is thinking to herself,


" Oh my god, I'm getting my photo taken. I'd better make it a good one because I drove a thousand fucking miles just to get some evidence that I was here, so I'd better look good. What pose should I go for? Hip lean? Arms in the air? Peace sign? Smile? No smile? Maybe a smile without teeth? I didn't brush this morning. How are you supposed to brush your teeth out here anyway? Fuck, I hate camping."
Click.




I have to admit to enjoying the Trans Canada highway a little too much. Not all for its beauty, but just for the unfathomable amount of work it must have taken. Try to imagine how much work it takes to make a flat highway for a thousand miles. Then, try to imagine constructing that same highway, only it now stretches across the Rockies. That's the kind of hard work that you have to respect. I mean, LOOK AT THAT.




If I had known that there are (seemingly) only two Starbucks between here and Vancouver, I wouldn't have come at all. That's not true, but holy hell was it frustrating. For a guy who has trouble starting his day without a long americano, it was torture. I'll be sure to write Howard a bit later today about that. Here, I am pictured, fully satisfied.


Calgary made me laugh. It was a really pretty, clean, and diverse city. Yet it was full of cowboys, and it seemed like this style was only cool in Calgary, because I didn't see any of that shit anywhere else along the way. Thank the lord I didn't buy any Stampede gear when I was there.






Am I floating in this picture? There's a weird shadow near my feet that gives off this hovering look.



2 comments:

sabina said...

about the representation: i know! a photographer at my school took a video of his girlfriend when she thought that he was taking her photo. i loved it. i keep thinking about it, actually. i'm going to do it as well. they're much more accurate portraits. (if there is such a thing)

littlest roro said...

I love your photos.
And you.
You are really photogenic, especially in the ones I shot of you a couple of weeks ago, a true beauty....