Thursday, July 24, 2008

1920 - part 1

Tarkins back.
What started as just an idea on paper and a desire to hit the road, turned into one of the summers biggest box-office excursions. I have recently returned from a 14 day journey across two countries, in an attempt to relax and do some research.
I look back on some wonderful memories, some of which I will go into further detail, right, about, now.




Ontario is a funny place. In fact, it's actually quite beautiful.
There's a heck of a lot more to it than some of the ugliest "cities" in the country. Did you know there are bears in this province, as well as moose? I didn't either, because only a fool would go around the Great Lakes, rather than under them. It took us over two days just to get out of the province, but I'd say it was worth it. I'd rather see some really defining Canadian landscape over advertisements for Michigan's own food chain, The Cracker Barrel. Although, it is that once you've seen ten kilometers of the shield, you've seen it all, and I was okay with that because I was looking at the sky most of the time.


I introduced TraBK to a theory of mine early on during the trip while driving, and that theory is that all bugs are girls, so don't crush them. This statement alone provided some of the funniest moments on the trip, mainly because we'd impersonate mosquito's as delicate females. Rathing than crushing them, we would provide a humorous narrative while insects were looking for a way out of the car. After laughing at eachothers depictions of dancing female bugs, we'd open a window and let her out. Think about it next time you feel like swatting that fly in your room: it's just a cute young lady looking for a way out.


Some sights, like the one pictured above, were hilariously identical to some of my work. Then and there, the entire purpose of the trip was fulfilled, and it had only been one day since leaving. Even TraBK was laughing at the similarities.
I wish I could bottle up that much inspiration and keep it on my shelves when I need it, because there was more than enough during times like that. A large goal I set out for myself was to not capture certain moments on film, but to place them into my head and let my imagination distort them in a way no camera ever could.


No comments: