Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recent Work and a Sketchbook Peepshow



Lately, I've been dabbling in other areas of landscape portraiture. I'm not sure what caused this transition; whether it be a feeling of progression or a discovery of the new medium itself, but it has been a lot of fun so far. I have, however, been working a lot more in my sketchbook. This has really allowed me to expand and realize what I do and do not look for in a successful landscape piece.
I still continue to follow the main aspects of my past work: flat horizon, large scale, simple palette, symmetrical, geometric and fantastical. The only real differences, besides being strictly black and white is the tone, texture, and how much more relaxed and inaccurate I've allowed these pieces to become. A true inspiration for these works came from gestural life drawings, made from similar materials. These paintings, or drawings (pawings? draintings?) are done quite quickly as well; usually in a matter of days.
I have completed two full sized works on canvas and I'll try to get photos up as soon as possible.
We'll see how far I take these. In honesty, the only thing holding me back from producing dozens of these is how costly the canvases can be, especially since most push six feet in length.











The writing on the left is pretty nonsensical. If you have trouble reading the scratchy font, it usually reads how I feel about certain ideas, such as how I find birds cliche and how elderly women love corn row fields.

No comments: