Saturday, January 2, 2010

detroit rock city

Last night I dreamt I was involved in a plane crash. I was at a picnic with my family and the jet just came crashing down right on top of us. This is nothing really new, because I'm almost certain that any plane that enters my dreams ends up crashing. I have no idea what this means.

Everyone has their sort of Youtube vices. Some people look up animal fights, some celebrity blowups, some watch The View, some watch sitcoms. I'm usually watching airplane crashes.



I'm not sure what it is inside me, but I am sometimes terrified of planes, from the outside. I couldn't care less about flying. In fact, I love it. But for some reason, whenever I see a low-flying plane I always assume it's about to crash. Airshows are bad for that. I remember having a mini moment of anxiety in Detroit once because of an airshow over the Detroit River.

The incredible scale of 9/11 really shook me up in terms of anxiety. I remember not even being able to watch the footage of the collisions for days after. People that know me well know that I have a fear of "really big things". It's hard to define it specifically, but all it really boils down to is that I'm afraid of "over-sized" things (objects that are far bigger than they are supposed to be), and overwhelmingly large things in general.

Does anyone else share this feeling? I think I watch the crash videos to test my limits of what I can and can't handle. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't.

No comments: